Friday, August 24, 2007
Annabel tagged me to write 7 random gardening facts about myself. Well, I wouldn't call myself a gardener by any stretch of the imagination but I found it interesting to ponder. Mark is the gardener in our house but I'm the one who loves weeding so we work pretty well as a team! We have different ideas about gardening but since he does the hard work I let him make the gardening decisions. I have, though, finally persuaded him to get a passion flower and, never one to do anything by halves, he planted a total of five different varieties, not including the one we have in a pot! The one above is not ours unfortunately, I just spotted it while out walking this week!
This one is basking in the back garden
and this delicate looking pink one is at the front. We found a German site online selling them and choose them according to how hardy they were. The more unusual ones tended not to be very hardy so we were limited in what we could have especially as the winters can be very cold here.
So, passion flowers are no longer on my list of things I've been wishing for in the garden but here are 7 more;
1. A monkey puzzle tree (above).
2. Old, worn steps overgrown with grass.
3. Tulips (I can't believe the previous owners planted no bulbs!)
4. Sweet peas - one of my favourite flower fragrances.
5. Snakeshead fritillery - I've never seen these for sale. They seem to me to belong to the faerie world!
6. Chickens! I used to love collecting the eggs whenever I visited my aunt and uncle on their farm. I didn't even mind all the spiders and cobwebs I had to pass to get to them. Come to think of it, it must have been a very large coop or maybe a old out house because I had to go through another room to get to the chickens. It's hard to be miserable when you're looking at chickens!
7. Lastly, a random fact - one of my first memories is noticing the structure of lupins and how each shape fitted perfectly together and how it retained that perfect structure as it tapered to a point.
I see that not everyone who has been tagged for this meme has joined in, so I think I will be kind and not pass it on - it was surprisingly difficult!